Avatars and Animation: All-Digital Cluster on Bronco Raptor Uses High Tech To Optimize Off-Road Performance
- All-new 2022 Ford Bronco Raptor™ introduces new levels of sophistication with dynamic animations and informative graphics such as detailed avatars of the vehicle drivetrain system, all packaged in an easy-to-read, fully customizable 12-inch digital cluster
- Created in part by former videogame developers, the all-digital display captures the performance and personality of each G.O.A.T. Mode™ (Goes Over Any Type of Terrain), while creating potential for an even smarter Bronco Raptor with more capabilities and off-road features with Ford Power-Ups
- From the daily commute to cruising across the desert sand, the digital cluster on Bronco Raptor features seven distinct displays to present useful information to the driver in real-time; exclusive Performance View is designed for improved high-speed desert running
DEARBORN, Mich., April 7, 2022 – It’s fitting that a vehicle delivering the epitome of off-road capability treats its drivers to a visual experience like no other. From behind the wheel, the extreme off-road capability of the Ultra4-inspired 2022 Bronco Raptor™ is complemented by a dynamic display in a fully customizable 12-inch digital cluster that illustrates the optimization enabled by each drive mode.
The 12-inch display represents the next evolution of digital technology in the Ford lineup, expanding on the cluster of F-150 Raptor. Headlining this new feature is Performance View, which makes crucial information such as gear state and engine speed easy to read for hardcore off-roaders traveling across the desert. Exclusive Performance View can be used with any mode, but is designed with high-speed, off-road racing in Baja mode in mind.
“Performance View changes a driver’s impression of how to use the vehicle, with an intuitive layout that puts redline at the 12 o’clock position and uses a drivetrain avatar to really get the focus on optimizing the performance of the drive,” said Mark Sich, Ford digital design manager. “The entire focus is to provide the driver with important information as efficiently as possible.”
The same team that worked on the cluster also designed the improved 12-inch center stack screen, ensuring harmony across all screens to provide easy-to-read, quick-to-decipher information. In addition, MyMode enables drivers to save all of their favorite steering, exhaust and suspension settings.
Bronco Raptor features advanced SYNC 4 connected vehicle technology that learns customer preferences and improves experiences such as automatically mapping to their favorite trail. Ford also can use this learning capability to improve the vehicle with more and more capability over time.
Ford Power-Up software updates offer this potential for an even smarter Bronco Raptor with plans for new capabilities and off-road features, as well as further evolving the FordPass mobile app to include unique functionality for off-road adventures. Much of the competition can only upgrade entertainment features.
Customers also can control their Bronco Raptor with the FordPass app to lock or unlock their vehicle from almost anywhere, as well as check tire pressure and fuel level.
Animating the cockpit brings Bronco G.O.A.T. Modes to life
For an elevated immersive experience, the all-new digital cluster in Bronco Raptor brings the brand’s exclusive G.O.A.T. Modes™ (Goes Over Any Type of Terrain) Terrain Management System™ to life. Former videogame developers joined the design team in creating animations for all seven selectable drive modes, each capturing the specific performance and personality of the setting through the use of color, speed and even camera angle to help drivers quickly interpret how their vehicle is optimized at any given moment.
Using the center console-mounted G.O.A.T. Modes rotary dial, drivers can easily change from one mode to another. With Normal mode at the 12 o’clock position, the dial clicks left one by one for three of the modes, then right for the additional three modes.
- Normal: The screen of the digital cluster uses a subtle blue to show the vehicle in an everyday driving scenario.
- Sport: One click left captures the feel of a more exciting drive experience, with the cluster using a red and white theme to show the vehicle in a track environment.
- Tow/Haul: To highlight the increased tow rating of 4,500 pounds, the cluster screen two clicks to the left includes a vehicle towing a trailer, with the gauges turning yellow in a subtle nod to construction vehicles at work.
- Slippery: Optimized for use on slick roads or loose surfaces such as gravel, this mode, three clicks to the left, is replicated on screen using light blue to show a vehicle in rainy conditions.
- Off-Road: One click right brings animation of an off-road environment in shades of brown to illustrate that Bronco Raptor is ready for muddy, rutted, uneven terrain, and that four-wheel-drive lock is engaged.
- Baja: Getting to the heart of the Bronco Raptor persona, two clicks right delivers a cluster that uses orange highlights to show the vehicle driving across a desert scene.
- Rock Crawl: Three clicks to the right and the vehicle is optimized for low-speed, aggressive climbing maneuvers, with the cluster showing Bronco Raptor slow-crawling over rocks.
The 2022 Bronco Raptor is due in Ford showrooms this summer.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) is a global company based in Dearborn, Michigan, that is committed to helping build a better world, where every person is free to move and pursue their dreams. The company’s Ford+ plan for growth and value creation combines existing strengths, new capabilities and always-on relationships with customers to enrich experiences for and deepen the loyalty of those customers. Ford develops and delivers innovative, must-have Ford trucks, sport utility vehicles, commercial vans and cars and Lincoln luxury vehicles, as well as connected services. Additionally, Ford is establishing leadership positions in mobility solutions, including self-driving technology, and provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. Ford employs about 182,000 people worldwide. More information about the company, its products and Ford Credit is available at corporate.ford.com.
SOURCE: Ford Motor Company